goofbay.com and ebay scam

I found out this morning that all my sales on Ebay are registered on a site in britain called Goodfbay.com - it doesn't matter what you sell, how much you sell, or don't sell, and it doesn't matter what you charge for shipping on Ebay - all those details including how much you made in any given month and how much you charged for shipping along with the photos of your items are displayed right there on goodfbay.com

If you don't believe me go to goofbay.com and tap in your ebay ID and you will see the financial details of every thing you have ever sold. It will also list the details of how much your sales brought in for any given month. When I complained about this invasion of privacy to Ebay this morning they said that goofbay.com was not an affiliate of theirs and they had never heard of this company and would investigate. But goofbay.com IS an affiliate in the sense that Ebay pays Goodfbay for every customer that it sends its way. Despite this, there is a disclaimer on the bottom of Goofbay's home page that says it is not connected with Ebay!

I am sick to death of Ebay selling my privacy in this way. It was a shock to see all my financial details displayed and my photographs. Goofbay could only have got this information from Ebay. This means that no one who sells on ebay is safe or has any right to privacy - their sales figures will be displayed on goofbay for all to see. You can go to goofbay and tap in the ebay ID of any dealer and - hey presto - their details will instantly come up in a few seconds.

Ebay NEVER warned its sellers about this facility. It IS an invasion of privacy. And I have made a complaint this morning but I doubt it will get anywhere. But, if anyone reading this agrees with me, that our financial sales figures should not show up anywhere - least of all on a site in Britain - then please complain to Ebay, this is not right what they're doing.

Thanks, John

d39ed72 review #151538
23 Helpful? 175
Had the same issue24 Comments32 Report
Had an experience with GOOFBAY?  Submit review about this company
Ebayer

Apr 25 London, London

I also sell and buy on Ebay,
I complained to Ebay that my sales data were easily available to see at the touch of a button by anyone including my competitors.
Ebay customer services told me they were not connected to Goofbid and that I should contact them to make a complaint, unfortunately to get hold of them I would need to register with Facebook, and as I don't have a Facebook account for privacy reasons, I was unable to leave my comments.
I am aware that all this information can be worked out through the feedback list already available for all to see, however anyone normally interested in my sales performance would need to sit in front of the computer with a calculator adding up every sale, now Goofbid makes it easy and convenient for anyone to see how much money I have made.
This is an infringment of my privacy to a point.
The people who don't worry about this and leave idiotic comments are the ones who don't sell on Ebay and don't feel involved or they are the culprits that like to spy on other people, but don't like to give anything of their own information away.

bigE

Sep 27, 2013 London, England

Im new to ebay and only just discovering goofbay. I must say I found it disturbing to be able to locate all sales from anyones user name. This information wouldnt normally be available if selling through a shop or paper etc. It exposes you to potential tax questions too.

On the other hand I found it useful to see a particular seller was selling a particular rear item a number of times !

Before proceeding to sell anything I think I will make a detailed check of what personal information is made available. I dont think I will use my bank account but open a second account to work with paypal. I will be watchful with any id.

Thank you for raising this issue.

Matt

May 05, 2013 London, England

The Goofbay site is intended to find items that have got mis-spelt titles, descriptions etc. Congratulations for being one of its biggest contributors!

Idiot Watcher

Dec 30, 2012 London, England

Dear John,
The info you refer to is available to anyone on bay. You are worrying about nothing.
You most probably have mild learning difficulties, so you may find this hard to take in.

All the best

*** Watcher

not stupid

Dec 06, 2012

Amazed this still shows up on searches for Goofbay.

Oh well - Goofbay (now Goofbid) is American NOT British.

It DOES NOT give confidential info.

It gives the info anyone can find by doing a search on ebay.

For me, personally the added advantages are (my favourites that is) a sniping tool and mis-spelling tool.

I HATE IDIOTS

Nov 22, 2012

You are all retarded. Goofbay & Goofbid are nothing and ebay don't give details to anyone.

RETARDS!!!

new post

Aug 03, 2012

most of the people that don't like goofbay are just hiding from the tax man

2 0 Reply
You're all being ridiculous

Jul 18, 2012

:zzz

eBay don't give GoofBay your info, GoofBay take it like any other member of the public can, through eBay advanced search. There is an option on eBay advanced search to find a member by user ID. Nobody needs GoofBay, it can all be done on eBay itself.

Whatever

Jun 04, 2011

Someone should take ebay and goofbay to court and make a stand against them. Ebay and goofbay have no right to allow this information to be accessed by anyone at any time!
I have no idea what the international data protection laws are like but it shouldn't make a difference. My friend was just able to access all of my selling and buying history from the UK for information on a UK individual. All he would then have to do is buy a cheap item from me, get all my personal info (name, address, email) and who know what he could do with it? Identity fraud, spamming, etc.

Its probably illegal. Don't let them get away with it!!!

Another appalled long-time eba

May 27, 2011

I'm only a buyer on ebay, and have no intention of selling there. Why should anyone have access to MY data?! I'm the one giving up my money up front in good faith, why would every snooping a-hole need to go through the other stuff I've bought before they accept it?! Not to mention this isn't even an option offered JUST to people whose items I am bidding on/buying, it's for EVERYONE who knows my username. THat includes any random acquaintance to whom I may have sent one of those 'check out this item I found on ebay' emails.

It's not just a goofbay matter. It's ebay too. And that stuff about protecting the consumer from bad sellers is obviously not gonna wash when it's buyers' details being exposed, and neither is it gonna work when it's EVERYONE who can access these, not just people with whom you are sharing a transaction.

Is there any way to stop this? I have paid over 300 quid on ebay in the last three months, so that shows up on goofbay. And it's *** that they don't have personal data like address etc, because clearly, that's available to anyone who has ever sold me something.

annon

May 15, 2011

I think people are missing the point that once they have their details published by ebay they are in the public domain, your sales are held on ebay for a good period and also likly to be in other caches, I doubt goofbay host the photos just link to them. I would consider what you let out to the internet before you worry about what one site collects. Keep your username abstract from yourself and you wont have a problem these other sites just show you as a good seller and as a buyer using these tools would be more likly to buy from you. Swings and roundabouts gents.

there are many useful ebay tools sites, one if my fav shows bidding history so you can see if certain accounts always bid on another accounts items so you can see whats being artificially (and againt ebays rules) inflated and leave alone.

Can't believe I'm actually rea

May 12, 2011

Oh well, even though it's a post well over 2 years old now, I wonder how many of the "It's a scam" moaners are hiding away in embarrassment?

Firstly, anything that people upload to a website, whether it be music, movies, or naked pictures of your nan, can be searched for, downloaded, ***, even choke their chicken over the photo if they wanted to, and you could not do 1 thing about it.

Why? Look at the T.O.S on eBay, (it's the same on all Social Networking sites too), where in, it is considered that if you are uploading a photo to be seen by friends, or potential sellers, then this is obviously something that is NOT private lol :grin

No wonder goofbay reacted the way they did, reading letters like some people have gone off and sent on here lol.

You should actually be thanking them, as they are more then likely giving your items that you sell, double the exposure.

Financial information on all ebay buyer and sellers history can be accessed through ebay itself.

Seems to me the only thing people here are concerned about is hiding from the Tax man.

goofbayer

May 07, 2011

John, your a bit of a loser!
Goofbay tools are nothing to do with ebay!!
Also your personal details are not displayed! It does not give any home addresses, pay pal account info or contact details etc!
Thank you to goofbay I can check on mutually removed negative feedback etc.. It protects consumers from poor or nasty sellers!
Keep on crying like a baby!
It's all legal and above board!! :)

iser

Mar 12, 2011

I love Goofbay. If you spell your title of the item that you are selling wrong, then it's your fault, not Goofbay or Ebay's fault. My brother and I have made TONS of money because of others grammar mistakes. Also, if you put ANY photo on the internet, then it's on there forever, regardless of Ebay's privacy guidelines...everyone knows that.

1 0 Reply
Ferd

Nov 13, 2010

:( Goofbay is a worthless suck hole!

0 1 Reply
You're wrong

Nov 08, 2010

Sorry, but you can find all this information on ebay's own site. Simply do an advanced search and look up completed items for any particular seller. Then add up the totals, etc. You can even estimate their fees! Goofbay just gathers this information that ebay already makes available. And btw it's not very accurate.

Xeno Warrior

Jul 25, 2010

Well I did just that, sent an email to request that my details and photo's be removed from thier website, and heres the email I got back from them.........

Hi Chris

I'm not sure what happened to the court papers but it appears we still don't have them so we are unable to remove the details. I personally wouldn't worry about your privacy though as it's only a photo. Thank you for your time.

Thanks,
Goofbay

Obviously they are playing the smart ***, well they can keep my details, they all out dated anyway I don't use ebay any more. But a response like that is typical I guess, welldone goofbay, you really do live up to your name.

xtrmnator10

Jul 13, 2010

goofbay has no right taking private info and displaying it on their website. it is not their info.

however, you can go to goofbay and contact them telling them to remove you from their database. they have to remove you when you tell them too.

Robert

Jul 08, 2010

what´s about the published photos on goofbay? Aren´t this photos my own? It is normally NOT allowed to publish MY private photos!

1-20 of 32 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.